Fundación, Barahona, Dominican Republic
Sure, here is some information about Fundación, Barahona, Dominican Republic:
Fundación is a municipality in the Barahona province of the Dominican Republic. It is located on the southern coast of the country, about 90 kilometers west of Santo Domingo. The town is known for its beautiful beaches, lush forests, and historical sites.
The population of Fundación is about 8,122 people. The town is a popular tourist destination, due to its natural beauty and proximity to other tourist attractions in the Barahona region.
Some of the things to do in Fundación include:
- Visit the beaches: Fundación has several beautiful beaches, including Playa El Limon, Playa La Caleta, and Playa Los Patos.
- Go hiking or camping in the nearby national parks: The Parque Nacional Sierra de Bahoruco and the Parque Nacional Jaragua are home to stunning scenery and diverse wildlife.
- Visit the town's historical sites: Fundación has several historical sites, including the Fuerte de Fundación, which was built by the Spanish in the 16th century.
The best time to visit Fundación is during the dry season, which runs from November to April. The weather is warm and sunny during this time, with average temperatures in the high 20s Celsius.
The currency in the Dominican Republic is the Dominican peso (DOP). The exchange rate is currently about DOP 58 to USD 1.
The official language of the Dominican Republic is Spanish. However, English is widely spoken in tourist areas.
Here are some additional details about Fundación:
- The town was founded in 1507 by the Spanish conquistador Nicolás de Ovando.
- Fundación was the first Spanish settlement in the Barahona region.
- The town was originally called "San Cristóbal de la Nueva España".
- The town was renamed "Fundación" in 1987.
I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.